Truffles, Wine and Castles in Piedmont
Four-day Independent Excursion Program
This is a private tour for your party only, starting on any date available
Click here to Book Your Tour
This independent tour package offers a perfect opportunity to experience the food and wine of Piedmont, and enjoy its breathtaking scenery and fairy-tale castles at your own pace. You drive to all excursions in your own rental car; our English-speaking tour escort travels with you, explaining the history and lifestyle and food traditions of the area along the way. We will be happy to help you make arrangements for the best price on a rental car -- and don't worry, there is almost no traffic in this part of Italy, so you will be able to cruise among the hills and dales and vineyards without a care in the world!
• Arrive in Alba and check into your room with private bathroom at the four-star I Castelli Hotel. Meet with your English-speaking escort, who will explain the logistics of your tour and accompany you on your truffle hunt.
• In the afternoon, you will learn all about one of this region's most famous specialties, the truffle. "What Is a Truffle? How Is a Truffle Found? What Techniques Does a Truffle Expert Use?" After this short introduction, you will venture into the woods with the trifolau (truffle hunter) and his dog, to put your newfound knowledge to the test and find your own little nugget of white gold!
• Next you will visit a local farm and taste some of their products, which might include delectable cheeses and succulent salamis, accompanied by a good local vintage.
• Dinner on your own and overnight.
• Breakfast at the hotel.
• This morning you set out for Grinzane Cavour, one of the most picturesque castles in Piedmont. The vast interior of this fortress is now a museum dedicated to wine and the traditions of farming; click here to view some photos of the fascinating exhibits.
• Continue on to the hill town of La Morra, where you'll have time to visit the wine shops and have a bite of lunch on your own.
• Your next destination is the town of Barolo, where you'll tour a historic winery that produces 1,500,000 bottles of Barolo, Barbaresco, Nebbiolo d'Alba, Barbera d'Alba, Dolcetto d'Alba, Roero Arneis, Gavi, Moscato d'Asti and Brachetto d'Acqui. After the tour you will taste some of these classic Piedmont vintages.
• Return to Alba, dinner on your own and overnight.
• Breakfast at the hotel.
• Today's excursion takes you to Canelli, a delightful hill town that is a candidate to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its "underground cathedrals," 13km of soaring cellars where millions of bottles of sparkling wine are left to ferment. Here you will visit a family winery that is on the cutting edge of the modern wine revolution. Founded several generations ago, it is now brilliantly combining age-old traditions with state-of-the-art innovation, and you will taste some of their prized creations.
• Continue on to the village of Grillano, where you will tour a completely different kind of winery, set within a gracious 19th-century mansion. This tour also culminates with a wine tasting.
• Your next destination is Tagliolo Castle, whose main structure dates back to the year 1000. Wine has been produced here for the last 600 years, and you will enjoy a tour and tasting of their very singular vintages.
• On you go, to Trisobbio, perhaps the most spectacular castle yet! This one actually forms its very own town, with origins as early as the Etruscans. Check into your room with private bathroom and freshen up. After a tour of the castle, head out for dinner on your own.
• Breakfast at the hotel and departure.