Religious Itinerary of the Province of Ragusa
[Regions of Italy] [Back to Sicily]

Browse unique lodgings, hand-picked for you by In Italy Online


The large number of bell towers and great cupolas which stand out on the skyline of the towns of the province of Ragusa is evidence of the faith and religiousness of the Iblean people who, during the centuries even at a cost of great sacrifice, wanted to create beautiful temples dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to their patron saints. So great was the love for their own protectors that each center wanted to make its own church more beautiful, in this way creating rivalry amongst the faithful and so for their saints. For this reason they called the best architects, the best stone masons, the best artist, in a type of race, which has left in our territory a considerable heritage of art of culture of faith with which we have the responsibility to care for and appreciate.



RAGUSA

The Cathedral Of San Giovanni Battista

Built from 1718 and completed in 1778, it has a monumental façade rich in carvings and sculpture which, together with the high belltower, overlooks the raised churchyard enclosed by an 18th-century balustrade in stone. The interior, enriched by splendid rococo stucco, is divided into three naves by two rows of columns with the pitch stone capitols richly sculpted and inlaid with gold. The characteristic pitch stone floor is inlaid with white stone.

   

The Church Of Santa Maria Delle Scale

The most ancient church in the town springs from a rocky outcrop from where one can enjoy a enchanting view of the old part of Ibla. Inside there is an arched nave in the gothic and renaissance style and an altar painting in a polychrome terracotta of 1538 figuring the "Dormitio Virginia".

The Church Of Santa Maria Dell'Idria

Built during the first half of the eighteenth century by the Knights of Malta and characterized by a belltower decorated with majolica painted with floral motives (1754). Inside one can find five richly sculptured and engraved altars.

The Church Of Anime Ss. Del Purgatorio

This is reached by a steep stairway enclosed by artistically interesting railings. The church, constructed in the baroque style in the mid 18th-century, has splendid paintings in its interior amongst which a masterpiece by Francesco Manno depicting the "Anime Purganti".

   

The Church Of San Giorgio

The ancient cathedral of the city emerges majestically, with its towered façade, at the top of a scenic stairway, its oblique position compared to the square below emphasizes the curved form of its prospective. The church was designed and undertaken by Rosario Gagliardi in 1739 while the beautiful neo-classic cupola was added in 1820. The interior rich in decorative stonework also has three great paintings by Vito d'Aaan, while in the sacristy there is a precious altar apse with the statues of San Giorgio, San Mercurio and San Ippolito, which Antonio Gagini had sculptured in 1574 for the ancient church.

The Church Of San Giuseppe

Built in the second half of the 18th century, it has an interesting prospective, with statues featuring the Saints and the Saints of the Benedettini order. The interior, of an oval form in rococo style, has a splendid wooden statue of San Giuseppe faced in silver.

The Church Of Sant'Agata Or "Dei Cappuccini"

This church can be found in the gardens of Ibla, there are three splendid canvasses from the seventeenth century painted by Pietro Novelli figuring the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, Saint Agatha and Saint Caterina of Alessandria.

   

The Church Of San Francesco All'Immacolata

Rebuilt in the 17th century, it still has a door in the Fredericiano style at the base of the belltower, which came from the ancient 13th-century church. The inside is divided into three naves with two rows of pillars, still showing signs of the earthquake that totally destroyed city in 1693.

 
   


VITTORIA
 

The Cathedral Of San Giovanni Battista

Reconstructed at the beginning of the 17th century, the interior is rich in stucco and ornaments in baroque style.

The Church Of Santa Maria Delle Grazie

Built in the mid 18th century, it has a harmonious towered façade in limestone.



ACATE
   
The Cathedral

Reconstructed in the nineteenth century.

 

The Church Of San Vincenzo

In the past dedicated to San Giuseppe. Here the body of the martyr of S.Vincenzo is kept.



COMISO

Sanctuary Of San Francesco All'immacolata

Built in the 14th century and extended in 1517 by the Naselli chapel which houses the monumental sepulcher of Count Gaspare, attributed to Antonio Gagini, the ornate 16th-century altar and the splendid wooden choir stall finely engraved and painted.

The Cathedral Of Santa Maria Delle Stelle

Reconstructed in 1696 in the baroque style, it preserves its wooden roof with paintings attributed to Barbalonga and the choir stalls of the presbytery, refined work of the late seventeenth century.

Santissima Annunziata

Built at the end of the 17th century by the architect Cascione Vaccarini and characterized by a harmonious interior of neo-classic taste, it has two great paintings by Salvatore Fiume.

The Church Of Santa Maria Delle Grazie

Part of an ancient convent of the Cappuccini, it has altars with splendid wooden inlays of the eighteenth century.



GIARRATANA
   

The Cathedral Of Ss. Annunziata

Built in the neo-classic style, it contains splendid 16th-century decorations amongst which a large wooden crucifix.

The Church Of Sant'Antonio

Its dramatic towered façade dominates the entire town.

The Church Of San Bartolomeo

In neo-classic style.

 


MONTEROSSO ALMO
   

The Church Of San Giovanni

It has a towered façade of a late baroque type, and the interior is heavily stuccoed in neo-classic style.

The Church Of Sant'Antonio

Reconstructed in the 18th century over the original church, it preserves in its interior splendid 16th-century paintings and an ancient and venerated wooded statue of the Madonna Addolorata.

   

The Cathedral Of Maria Ss. Assunta

Has inside a beautiful 17th- century wooden crucifix and several holy fonts sculptured in medieval times.



CHIARAMONTE GULFI

The Sanctuary Maria Ss. Di Gulfi

Situated at the foot of the hill from which the town emerges, a site in remote times of a lively and heartfelt cult to the Madonna, it holds a beautiful venerated marble statue from the school of Gagini.

The Cathedral Of Santa Maria La Nova

Built in the 15th century and altered in the successive centuries, it is divided into three naves by two rows of columns and has in the interior a series of splendid paintings and sacred decorations.

   

The Church Of San Filippo

Built in the 18th century, it has inside splendid 16th-century sculptures.

   

The Church Of San Giovanni

Built by the Knights of Malta in the highest part of the town, was rebuilt in the 18th century in the baroque style.



MODICA
   

The Church Of Santa Maria Di Betlem

Reconstructed in the 18th century. Within this church we can find the chapel of SS. Sacramento in late gothic style with a beautiful arch at its entrance in finely carved stone and a large nativity scene with statues in terracotta in local costume.

The Cathedral Of San Pietro

In the lower town, situated at the top of a stairway, made more imposing by the large baroque statues of the twelve apostles, these emphasize the elegance of the double order façade. The interior rich in baroque decoration is divided into three naves by two rows of columns.

The Church Of Santa Maria Del Carmine

This has the original doors and the rose window from the 15th century and inside we can find a sculptured group of the annunciation of the school of Gagini.

The Cathedral Of San Giorgio

This is in the higher town, reconstructed in the 18th century in baroque style. It has an interesting and panoramic façade which is made more impressive by a long 18th-century stairway. The five-nave interior has splendid works of art amongst them the great polyptych of 1513 which depicts the story of Christ, Saint Giorgio and Saint Mercurio, the main alter covered in richly engraved panels of silver, and the great sundial on the floor of the transept.

The Church Of San Giovanni Evangelista

In the higher town, with a beautiful façade in neo-classic style, the church stands at the culmination of a monumental stairway.



ISPICA

The Basilica Of Santa Maria Maggiore

Designed by the architect Vincenzo Sinatra, the façade is enriched by a semicircular open gallery, and the magnificent baroque interior was painted by Olivio Sozzi.

The Basilica Of Ss. Annunziata

Decorated in rococo stucco by the Gianforma brothers.



SCICLI
   

The Church Of Carmine

Together with the annexed convent, it was built in the second half of the 18th century by the Carmelite architect Alberto Maria di San Giovanni Battista.

   

The Church Of Santa Maria La Nova

Built in the neo-classic style between the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century, it has inside a beautiful altar painting attributed to Sebastiano Conca featuring the Nativity of the Virgin.

   

The Cathedral Of San Matteo

Built in monumental form on a high crag that dominates the existing town, the church was abandoned a few years after it was constructed, because the whole town moved into next valley.

The Church Of San Bartolomeo

Characterized by a towering façade of late baroque style, the inside is rich in stucco work and rococo decorations and has amongst its other splendid works of art a wooden nativity from the Neapolitan school of the 18th century.



SANTA CROCE CAMERINA

The Cathedral

From the 13th century, altered in the 18th century, it has three naves and a copy of the Madonna di Loreto by Caravaggio and a statue of San Giuseppe.



Browse unique lodgings, hand-picked for you by In Italy Online



[Regions of Italy] [Back to Sicily]