Truffle Fairs & Festivals in Italy | Taste Truffle Recipes and Buy One to Take Home
Truffle Fairs & Festivals in Italy
Taste Truffle Recipes and Buy One to Take Home
Autumn is the season for local festivals. Lately it seems the ones most people ask us about are dedicated to these tubers, which are as smelly as they are rare and costly. Here are a few you might be able to attend:
- San Giovanni d'Asso (province of Siena, Tuscany). On the first two weekends of November, the residents of this ancient hilltown offer tastings, seminars, musical performances and truffle-hound competitions.
- San Miniato (province of Florence, Tuscany). This is perhaps the most famous Truffle
Fair in Tuscany and it is held on the first three weekends of November. Truffles galore! .
- Aqualagna (province of Pesaro, in the Marches). The National Fair of the White Truffle takes place here on the last Sunday of October and the first three Sundays of November, most likely because 2/3 of the national harvest is produced in this town (that amounts to some 60-70 tons). Part of the festivities are actual truffle hunts with dogs and pigs: you can participate if you book ahead and pay 50-100 Euro/person. To reserve, call +39-0721-790-341.
- Bobbio ( province of Piacenza in Emilia). This is more of a market than a festival, held on the first Sunday in October, and it is specialized in truffles, wild mushrooms, black olives and roast chestnuts.
- Alba ( province of Cuneo, in Piedmont). This is the most famous truffle fair, running throughout October and into early November. It includes all the usual culinary attractions (and the most expensive truffles – many
of which sell for sell for thousands of dollars!). Another exciting feature
of this event is the Donkey Palio, a rousing race that goes back to the 13th century. Click here for more information
and a program in English.
- Calestano ( province of Parma, in Emilia). Events are scheduled every Sunday October 23-November 20. Traditionally, famous international chefs convene here to concoct recipes using the local DOC black truffle.
- Savigno ( province of Bologna, in Romagna). On the first three Sundays of November, stands fill the streets of this medieval town and you can shop for many different varieties of white truffle.
If you have a food festival experience you would like to share with other readers, please email us.
Back to Festivals & Pageants in Italy